Sunday, March 09, 2008

So High I Could Touch The Sky

I know this is a bit late, but late is better than never.

I have to preface this blog post and say that Jake gave me the biggest guilt trip about not taking him to the concert. He whipped out all the good lines like "Why don't you want to spend time with me?" and "How can you abandon your son like this?" I told him that I just didn't think it would be a good idea, that he's too young. Especially when my tickets were on the floor and all the pushing and shoving. That last line was a lie by the way, I'm not dumb -I buy actual seats to concerts. But I seriously thought that he was too young to be going to a rock show.

So the night of the concert comes and we get to the Forum. First thing I notice is that there are all these freaking kids there! And I'm not talking about 12 year olds - oh no...I'm talking about 5-6 year olds! On a school night! The guilt set in fast, let me tell you. Then we bought a beer and started our climb to the seats. These seats were very very high, higher than I thought they would be. Damn lure of pre-sale. Next, it was a Foo concert. HELLO?!?!? I few deep inhales and we were pretty damn happy. And soon, I forgot about the children in the crowd.

Ok - the show itself was pretty fucking awesome. What made it better was that Dave Grohl was so funny and very personable. I know that its how they are supposed to be but come on - there have been times when I've gone to a concert and they perfomer only sang for an hour and a half straight and got off stage. I wont go into detail about the set list, but they did play pretty much all the songs I wanted to hear (except for Home from their last album, which I admit is a rather moving little diddy). They ended up closing with Best of You - which has to rank as my all time favorite song of theirs. Its just this song this grips you with the lyrics and then sucks you in with music that before you know it, you are just punching the air with every beat.

And yes, I didnt forget the little lad:



Funny, they way he looks is the way I felt that morning after.

No comments: