Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Movie Review: The Simpsons Movie

OK - one word: VERY FUNNY! Alright, that was two words.

Actually this review isnt about the movie itself (although I must say that I'm scarred for life where Bart is concerned). No, this review is more of a statement. I've come to be spoiled when it comes to movie going experiences. And this viewing of The Simpsons Movie proves it.

When I went to see Dreamgirls at the Arclight, I was surrounded by the people who would most appreciate the movie. Yes, those lovely boys who I wouldnt have dares shhh'd when Jennifer Hudson finished her take on that showstopping number - you guys know what I'm talking about.

When I went to see Transformers at the Arclight, I was surrounded by people who had the tenacity to hoot and holler and cheer when Optimus Prime said lines from the original cartoon. And yes, I mocked but deep down inside I wanted to be screaming too.

When I went to see The Simpsons Movie at the Santa Anita AMC - it was a mistake! There were times in the movie when I was laughing all by myself...and many of you have heard my laugh, it ain't pretty. I was shocked...no...dare I say appalled at the lack of humor in that crowd. There was no sense of camaraderie to experience these 2 hours together and watch an artist's vision come alive on the big screen. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. NADA.

I am making a stand now my loyal reader(s). Any movie that I have any sort of anticipation of seeing, I will only see at the Arclight. If a movie somewhat piques my interest, then I will consider going elsewhere (and probably end up paying a matinee price on a Sunday morning). The Arclight will now be my default theater for my movie going experiences.

I knew that those pesky crepes that are sold in the food court were going to be my downfall - damn you Santa Anita AMC and your liberal outside food policy, DAMN YOU!

No comments: