Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Most Distrubing Yet Most Interesting Hour Of My Life

I was watching a special on The History Channel called The Pigs. Yes, you read right...PIGS. At first, Jake and I weren't sure how it was going to turn out, I mean how interesting are pigs really?

The description of the show read like this:
It is said that the pig is as smart as a three-year-old human. The pancreas, heart valve and intestines of the pig have been transplanted into human bodies, yet the primary use of the pig is for food. Watch the pig transform into bacon, ham, ribs and sausage, using a high tech water knife, at Burger's Smokehouse in Missouri. Then Chef Chris Cosentino re-creates old world dishes from pig parts and culinary artisans attempt to duplicate long-vanished pork specialties like prosciutto and acorn-fed pigs.

Interesting fact: some pigs can run a 7 minute mile. 7 MINUTE MILE! I'm lucky if I can do a mile in less than 9 minutes. So I've learned that a pig can out run me. Great for county fair races bad for my ego.

Then they started talking about how they inseminate pigs to maximize the breeding. Because its the History Channel and they like to be detailed, they showed how they did it. This is about the time when I stopped eating my dinner. Jake was rather unphased, true, he probably didn't understand what was going on but I was just sitting there...like this:




I just couldn't believe what was happening not only were they showing the insemination, but now we've moved to a company that actually collects, analyzes, and sells semen. Yes, you read that right. And they showed the collection method!

Please refer to picture above for reaction shot.

And by the way, Jake is still unphased. Its one of those moments in parenthood that you have to pick, either you react and explain why you react or just let it slide and pray that they don't notice.

Jake turns to me and asks "Mom, are they helping the pigs pee?"

"Yes, Jake. Yes they are."

No comments: