Tuesday, June 03, 2008

No Body of Christ For You!

As I was driving home last night, I opted to listen to a little NPR. During “All Things Considered”, a story piqued my interest. It was about conservative lawyer Douglas Kmiec. Kmiec was denied communion while at a mass connected with a gathering of Catholic business people. The priest denounced Kmiec's endorsement of Sen. Barack Obama, then refused to give him communion.

Click here to listen to the story.

I have never been a very religious person, but how dare this priest think that he can pass this sort of judgement on Kmiec? This thinking is one of the reasons I distanced myself from the church in the first place.

By the way - he's not the only one. I found this article from the Kansas City Star that says:

"Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius should stop taking Communion until she repudiates her support for the “serious moral evil” of abortion, the Catholic archbishop for northeast Kansas says.

Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann, of the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas, also criticized the governor Friday for her recent veto of a bill imposing new restrictions on abortion providers.

In a column published in the archdiocesan newspaper The Leaven, Naumann called on the Catholic governor to take the 'necessary steps for amendment of her life.'

Naumann later told The Kansas City Star that would involve a confession, a public apology and a promise to undo the damage done by her “scandalous behavior that has misled people into dangerous behavior.”


I'm sorry - I don't recall the Catholic stance on abortions being that it leads to dangerous behavior (i.e. a form of birth control) but that it was always about it being against killing a life. There is difference. I'm a very much pro-choice and do not want anyone (especially a Catholic priest) telling me what I can and cannot do with my uterus.

I'm too mad to keep typing.

No comments: