Friday, January 07, 2005

What is that white stuff? Could it be - SNOW?

So we had a snow day today...in my life I have been to the snow 3 times and seen it fall once. To my coworkers my excitement must have rivaled the discovery of cold fusion. Here is the story of my morning.

When I got out of the shower my mom came running up to me and told me that it was snowing. Mind you it was clear with a possibility of rain yesterday, let alone snow. So you can imagine my shock. I immediately run to the window to verify and ITS TRUE! I quickly change and wake Jacob up so we can go outside to play in the snow before I headed off to work. The snow was falling and dusting the ground and cars with that wonderful white powder. So I finally get to work about 7:30am and then it starts coming down hard. I went outside to see the snow it seemed like every 5 minutes. I wanted to go out and have a snowball fight - but nobody else did, so I resorted to throwing snowballs at the glass doors. People in the other buildings started to come out to look at the snow and throw snowballs to one another. Then it started to come down harders still. The road started to disappear...my car got a nice thick layer of snow on it...and surprisingly it wasnt as cold as I thought it would be since it was SNOWING. I finally got the ruler out and started measuring - you know for my own morbid curiousity-1 inch...1 1/2 inch...at about 2 inches we started to wonder if they were going to close the schools and such. And they did. Then we wondered if we were going to get the day off...AND WE DID! Never in my life did I have a snow day. I got home at about 9:30am and I immediately put all of my son's cold weather gear on and went outside to attempt to make a snowman. We got into a nifty snowfight - well as nifty as one can get while going at it with a 3 yr old. He had so much fun...I had so much fun...I would keep looking outside and just staring at the snow and it was just amazing to me. I know that may sound corny but it was beautiful. To see the snowflakes just fall and slowly build a blanket that covered anything on the ground - trees, streets, cars - just beautiful. Then at about 2pm the snow started to melt...my little wonderland was disappearing before my very eyes. The snow first turned to mush then eventually little puddles. Its sprinkling now and they are only predicting rain for tomorrow since it doesnt seem like the temperature will drop low enough for the snow to fall again. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

No comments: