Going through Fark, I found this little diddy that caught my eye. Someone needs to turn this into a movie starring Martin Lawrence.
Inmate escapes by clogging toilet to create distraction
CHARLESTOWN, Ind. (AP) - An inmate escaped from a work-release crew after he created a distraction with an overflowing toilet, authorities said.
Wayne Mitchell, 24, was in the Clark County Jail for a probation-violation warrant, but had been working with a crew clearing roadside trash. When the crew stopped at the Clark County Fraternal Order of Police lodge to eat lunch, Mitchell went into a restroom and clogged a toilet, causing it to overflow, police said. He then came out saying he needed some towels from the jail's van to sop up the mess."The toilet overflowed and the rest of the inmates were trying to clean it up," said Maj. Chuck Adams of the Clark County Sheriff's Department. Instead of going to the van, Mitchell walked to nearby G&R Auto Sales, where an employee gave him the keys to a car he said he wanted to look over, police said. Police said he then stole a red 1995 Chevrolet Camaro convertible.
Officers later found Mitchell's jail-issued clothes at the dealership, about 15 miles north of Louisville, Ky.
First of all, this guy deserves an award other than his freedom for outsmarting everyone in this situation. Let make a few assumptions and observations:
1) He is on a roadside trash pick up detail. A group of about 20 people that are doing community service probably have about 2 people overseeing them. These guys are PRISONERS so you'd think they'd have more people supervising them. Plus they stopped at the Clark County Fraternal Order of Police lodge. How many people do you think were sitting around in there with a law enforcement background? If the amount of people who used to hang out at the VA in Ridgecrest were any indication, this is getting more and more embarassing for the Department of Corrections in Indiana.
2) Isn't the toilet clogged one of the oldest distractions? Oh look, its the Easter bunny!!!
3) OK - how many people does it take to clean up a clogged toilet?
4) I'll ask - how did he clog it up? I'm going down THAT route because I live with a 6 yr old.
5) Didn't the car salesman get a driver's license from escapee? Don't they collect those items when you, um, check into prison?
6) My favorite part of this is that they haven't caught him.