Thursday, December 06, 2007

Vote For The Foos!

The 50th Grammy Award nominations were announced this morning with Kanye West leading the pack and Amy Winehouse a close second. But, not too far behind are my boys - The Foo Fighters. The Foos are nominated for 5 awards including Album of the Year and Record of the Year for their song "The Pretender".

Now, I'm not going to lie, I LOVE "The Pretender". Anytime I'm alone in my car, I put Echos, Patience, Silence, and Grace in my cd player and just rock out to that song. Let me put it to you this way, I would buy the Rockband accessory for my Wii just so I could sing this song in my apartment. I haven't had this much love for a rocker since Lenny Kravitz stole my heart when I first heard "Are You Gonna Go My Way?"

Curious to see what my hype is all about? Here is their video for "The Pretender". And yes Derry, I've already made up a karaoke routine to this...I PROUDLY ADMIT IT!



Now - the Grammys need to make this up to me and have the Foos win (even though I think that either Rhianna or Amy Winehouse are going to take it). Why you ask? Did you get a chance to watch the My Night at the Grammys special on CBS last weekend? They counted down the top 25 moments in Grammy history.

In the spot #25, Aretha Franklin steps in for Luciano Pavarotti to sing Nessun Dorma, a famous Italian aria. Now...you all know my love for Aretha so being that she's #25 was already irking me. But, she was asked to sing for Pavarotti one hour before he was to take the stage. ONE HOUR. OPERA. ITALIAN. How can this not be higher on the list? How? Here is the audio from the Grammys.




When I first heard this performance, I cried. To this day, I'm still moved by the pure emotion that she conveys. She is the best and I'm now even more excited about seeing her in February.

Some other memorable performances on the Grammy flashback show were:

Melissa Etheridge and Joss Stone with their homage to Janis Joplin:


Why I think this video is awesome: Joss Stone (wacky as she is) has one of the best soul voices out there and Melissa - well Melissa rules. She ranks right up there, not as high as Aretha but as high as Annie Lennox. And not only did she rock the performance but she did it after fighting her battle with breast cancer.

Michael Jackson proving why he was a great performer:


Why I think this performance is awesome: Not only does he combine two of my all time favorite MJ songs but ITS MICHAEL! And the Michael that we would refer to in the present tense, not the past tense.

Ricky Martin launching the Latin music scene onto America:


Why I think this performance is awesome: There are moments in life that for one reason or another, you remember vividly. For me, this is one of them. I remember being in my friend's apartment helping him put together his tv stand or something and watching this unfold on the tv before me. I remember thinking "this is when he becomes a full blown star in America". Lets not mention that he was in Menudo, star on General Hospital and was already known world wide considering that the song he was singing was the anthem to the World Cup. But you know those pesky white people! And you know they were all dancing in their seats but they were too embarassed to get up and get their groove on...

So the Grammy Night thing - gave the #1 spot to Green Day singing American Idiot. I actually love Green Day and American Idiot is one of my favorite songs from them - but #1!?!?! Did I mention Aretha was #25 and she sang Opera? And trust me, I didn't even go into my rant about Alan Jackson and Celine Dion being ranked higher than the videos I posted.

This is why the Foos need to win this year. It can't be this HUGE shock that rockers can have the best album and record of the year in music that they get voted the #1 moment in Grammy history. At least American Idiot was bashing the Bush Admnistration, so I'll cut them some slack on that one.

No comments: