Friday, August 26, 2005

Blog of the Week! Movie Review! Newness Events! OH MY!

We have an action packed blog post today. Sometimes I dont know if posting several posts would be better - but I'm just going to do it in one shot. So off and running we go.

BLOG OF THE WEEK
Our blog for this week is a contribution from Juan who sent me the link yesterday. The blog is Michael Yon: Online Magazine and is about a reporter in Iraq attached to a battalion. For a little history, Juan was in Iraq for about a year and got back in April(ish). One of the people in the piece is Kurilla - who was Juan's battallion commander for a bit. Let me say - I only read the first story "Gates of Fire" and WOW - I mean WOW. I try to be open minded about what I read and to listen to many people's opinions about things. With the Iraq War - I'm rather sensitive to the whole thing - because I have friends that have come back from it, friends that are over there now like Evan and Victor, and some that might go back like Juan. Reading the story - really put me there, to see what things actually happens. Once again, I know they happen but you want to believe they don't-you know? Mostly for your friends, so they dont have you see it - its the protection thing I have I guess. Anyways - whatever your stance is on being over there, its a very thrilling story.

MOVIE REVIEW
This morning I saw "FRIDA" with Salma Hayek. Very good movie. I was chatting with my friend Iliana (who let me borrow the movie) that sometimes it takes a movie to open your eyes about someone. I had no idea she got into a trolley accident and was basically handicapped for most of her life. Anyways - excellent portrayal, beautiful costumes, lots of big names, and lesbian love by Salma.

Valiant: Yes, I went to see the WWII pigeon movie with the Jakeman. The best thing about that movie was the preview for Ice Age 2. At one point Jacob said to me, "Wake up Mommy, you are missing the movie!" I swear that movie didnt kind of suck - it really sucked.

NEWNESS EVENT FOR 08/25/05
So hope was fading for something new to happen. Until 11:30pm last night. I saw something I had never seen before. There was a slow speed chase on TV. I have to admit that I love to watch high/slow anykind of speed chases on TV. To me, they are entertaining. THERE IS A FREAKING HELICOPTER OVERHEAD - HOW DO YOU EXPECT TO GET AWAY? Anyways, the guy gets off the freeway and low and behold is driving through my old neighborhood. I kept trying to guess where he was. Then I see it - he pulls into a parking lot of a church where my aunt "Tsunami Tachi" told off some guy when he took her parking spot. So he gets out of the car and no lie - sits down at the picnic table and starts writing something. Then 20-30 police officers swarmed him. I found it to be quite comical.

NEWNESS EVENT FOR 08/26/05
There is one thing I learned from VALIANT - did you know they give out bravery medals to animals? The Dickin Medal is a British award given to animals who show courage and has been instrumental in saving human life. Between 1943 and 1949 PDSA awarded 54 Dickin Medals: 32 pigeons, 18 dogs, three horses and one cat. Who knew?

3 comments:

ghartstein said...

Didn't you know the our official sport in LA County is the "Car Chase"? It always cracks me up when they try to outrun the helicopter. "Yeah, I think I'll turn into this residential street...the helicopter won't see me through the trees...idiots!

Anonymous said...

Yon's blog is quite extraordinary. It made me cry the first time that I read it about 3 or 4 months ago.

Johnny Menace said...

chases are great. i feel cheated when they just pull over and give up.