Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Movie Review: The Aristocrats

Since I have gotten some blank looks from friends when I've told them I went to see this movie, some explainations maybe in order. First, I need to say that I went to see this at the Arclight Theater in Hollywood. I have never paid $11 for a matinee showing but holy shit, was this worth it. The theater is nice, they assign you a seat, and the ushers introduce themselves and give a film synopsis. Like I said - wowie. Ok - so there were about 20 people in this early showing and we were off to a good start. The Aristocrats is a documentary made by two comedians - Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette (yes, of Penn and Teller). The Aristocrats is one of the oldest jokes on the books - dating back to vaudeville that is told in the safe haven of other comedians. So the joke starts out like this, "A man walks into a talent agents office..." and ends with "The Aristocrats!" Ok the big deal about this - is that the "body" of the joke is to be made as filthy, dirty, offensive, raunchy as possible. And then the punch line is "The Aristocrats" Get it? Yeah, its not really supposed to be TA-DA funny - but its the journey...to see how far the person who tells the joke goes with it. I swear people - I never thought I'd laugh so hard at the thought of a man having sex with a gorilla, a grandmother having sex with the family dog, or a family rolling around in their own excrement. Bob Saget - sick hysterical man...Gilbert Gottfried - holy cow, I almost peed but to me...the best one was the mime. Yes, they had a mime tell the joke. Picture a mime telling a joke about sex and excrement. It goes beyond any adjectives I can think of. Worth every cent in those $11 I paid, oh plus the $3 for my soda.

No comments: