Thursday, August 04, 2005

The Donuts and my Blue D

I don't think its right to give smoker's unfair advantage at work. What is the advantage you ask? The smoking breaks. This has always bugged me - I am not a smoker, never have been - never will be. I dont need to have a fix of anything just so I can "go on" with my day. People will stop whatever it is that they are doing and go to the smoking area and gossip for about 20 minutes (2 or 3 times a day). While the non-smokers have to stay around and hold down the fort. So I dont know why today was the day, I revolted against it all. About 9:15am, I told my boss that I thought it was unfair that smokers were able to leave the office for up to an hour a day to get their fix. He looked at me with this " oh yeah and what are you going to do about it look" since this particular boss thinks that I have bad eating habits (he only sees me eat junk food at work) - I said the only thing I could. "I'm going to take my "vice break" and go get donuts. Want one?" Actually he didnt, but asked me to run into the market next door and pick up a pre-packaged salad for lunch. The two officers in my office were all over the idea and made their requests.

So this leads me to say how much I freaking love to work with the people I work with. I've always been lucky to work with people I actually like - meanwhile I think my bosses get a kick out of me and how opinionated I can be, which transitions to my original post for today.

I've been outed here at work. I work on a military base in a small conservative/Republican town. When I first started working on the base, I would keep my opinions to myself...I was not going to get into any political arguement with anyone I just met, I usually wait about a month to do that. Unless of course, you are asking for it.

So right now, I'm in the midst of planning this change of command ceremony where my current boss will get relieved by the Chief Test Pilot and move to the East Coast. Lots of fun in store. Part of my current responsibilities is creating the guest list. Well, they decided to add Arnold to the list - oh yeah, the big Govenator. I made some smart ass remark to my boss about how I'll do it under protest, but if they decide to invite Dubya, I wont be here. So I told the Chief Test Pilot about the whole thing and he looks at me and says "You arent one of THOSE liberals are you?" Mind you, I've heard their conversations and I know pretty much what their stance is on many things, I just decide to stay out of it. So I reply - Damn straight I am. And he got this look on his face like I was his mortal enemy! It was classic! Needless to say I've received some sort of Blue D to wear.

3 comments:

Leigh said...

I agree with you...its unfair that smokers get their "smoking break" while the rest of us can deal with life with out some sort of substance.

Morgan said...

I'm one of those bleeding heart Liberals who worked for defense contractor for almost 10 years. I considered at my patriotic duty to ensure the work was done properly, money was spent honestly, and the people whose lives depended upon our work could count on receiving a quality product. You stand proud.

ghartstein said...

I think people with chronic gas should be able to get fart breaks. They could go out with the smokers and pollute the air together.