Monday, June 20, 2005

It was bound to happen...

You know, you get spoiled with biweekly 3 day weekends. I had to drag my ass to work today. I couldn't go to sleep last night - mostly because of lots of little things that happened over the weekend but mainly because I wasnt tired. So I went to LA and had a nice time - on Saturday I was in a solo mood and hit the Norton Simon museum - which for as long as I lived in the Pasadena area, I never went to. So there I was on a Saturday afternoon, walking around looking at the artwork. They were featuring Degas - what was this guy's obessession with ballerinas? I didnt realize he was an avid sculptor as well. I'm a huge fan of impressionism so I was in that area of the museum for the majority of the time. I love reading the little stories/histories that accompany the painting - about why they painted the portrait, who owned it, who they were friends with...its just interesting. Its like reading about authors that were friends and how that friendship might have influenced a great piece of literature. Anyways, so I'm walking around and made my way to the 17th Century wing and saw this painting by Jacob van Ruisdale. I don't know what made me look closer...but I swear that two sheep in the painting are fucking. Needless to say, I was laughing all by myself with the guard was looking at me. I can only imagine what kinds of things they overhear since everyone has their own interpretations of the paintings. So had a good time - went back to Carol's and we went out that night. The next morning, I pretty much woke up, got dressed, and left. As I was driving home, I got stuck behind a semi truck going through Adelanto - no biggie but as soon as the truck moved over to the right lane when the passing lane opened up - it slingshotted (is that word?) me forward...just in time for the CHP to see me "speed" past the truck. Oh yeah, I got myself a ticket. He said I was going 73 in a 55 (which I know is BS because I couldnt be going any faster than the truck that was JUST in front of me). So I gave him my information and he asked me what had happened and I explained about the truck and the slingshot effect... and he goes "Yeah that sucks. Sign here" He also told me that since I was being so nice to him, he knocked it down to 65 in a 55. Yeah me. I asked him if he was having a bad weekend and he said that it was incredibly busy. But not to busy to catch me! Oh well, for as much as I drive through the desert, it really has been a miracle I've never gotten a ticket before hand. So I stopped at Burger King to have lunch and read my book and I ended up sitting there for about 45 minutes...just reading. Luckily a friend called me and snapped me out of it. So I finally make it home and end up - you guessed it, reading my book - The Devil Wears Prada. Damn that book is so entertaining. Info for Shannon - I'm at the part where she just finds out she has to go with Miranda to Paris. Jacob went with Brian to Disneyland for Father's Day so we were able to clean a bit yesterday before the tornado returns today. Ok - work calls. I have stuff to do and I'm not at all in the mood to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that museum before and I LOVE Degas. I printed out the info and I'm going there soon. I really liked Devil Wears Prada and I heard they're going to make it into a movie. I just finished a Norah Roberts book called "Chesapeake Blue" that was pretty good and I just started on "Can You Keep A Secret" by Sophie Kinsella who did "Confessions of a Shopaholic". Gotta love those Brits. P.S. Batman was good.