Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Oh Monday Monday...

Pretty busy day at work - since the other office manager left - it has been rather busy. We have someone to help but she's here only in the mornings and I guess people prefer to ask for help in the afternoon. Go figure. So after work I went to the store to buy my mom her birthday card. Yes, I havent been really "with it" lately in the planning department. I felt like one of those guys out on Valentine's Day buying the ugliest floral arrangement there was. Anyways, I find the cards (one from me and one from Jacob) and get in line to pay. I should know by know that the shortest line doesnt necessarily mean the fastest. This lady had a bunch of stuff, which wouldnt be a problem, but the cashier was so unbelievably slow! The people behind me left and I was trying to be nice and be all "Its ok, no problem" (insert fake smile here). Then the lady picked up a ball without a tag on it and said - I want this too. Apparently this was too much for the newbie cashier. She called for help from the neighboring cashier, called a manager....I HAD to change lines and as I'm moving she's yelling - "I'M SO SORRY!" Damn my luck, I went to another cashier whose mother was friends with the ex. Now, I realize there are three kinds of people in your social circle. Friends that are your own friends - no matter what they "belong" to you. His friends that you are cordial with and don't have to like - only put up with. And the "our" friends - the ones that if there is a break up either have to be civil with both parties or pick a side. I can see Scott nodding his head. ANYWAYS - so we've known this kid for a while now and when I get up to his box (a this point, I really dont care, I just want out of the store) here it comes the forced small talk. The asking about my son (who he called Ralph for some insane reason) and asking about the ex. I never really know how to address that. Because you can go one of two ways - admit the breakup (but then have to endure the "I'm so sorry!" and "Things will be ok" looks and sometimes even speeches) OR lie through your teeth and get the hell out of the store. "Things are fine, say hi to your mom for me- bye!" Out the door...Went out to dinner for my mom's birthday. Chatted with my friend Joel - the one who went to Italy and has apparently been back for three weeks BUT did bring me back my souvenier. We had a nice chat about life, relationships, and foods that start with the letter U. I only got one - Unagi. Any other suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love the sideways head turn and the ever sincere "Oh, I'm sorry." Then watching them squirm to figure out what to say next or how to tactfully ask what happened? Classic moments.

Anonymous said...

Lately I have been using, "Oh I found out she was cheating on me so we split", That's a fun one.

How about "undercooked chicken"?

Anonymous said...

Or you can respond:

" He is happy now that he is out of the closet. You think with all the signs I would have seen it coming?"

Anonymous said...

Actually, the line I've always used is, "well, I couldn't get along with his girlfriend."